Monday, March 9, 2009

Word Origins for $200, Alex...

I realized when I mentioned Casey's birthday cake was our family's Wacky Cake recipe, there'd be some questions. Why is it called a "Wacky" cake?

I should have asked my mom when I talked to her on the phone this weekend. But instead, I acted like my dad, who has an explanation for everything, and gave my best LeRoy answer. I said it had something to do with the recipe not calling for any eggs and that was pretty "wacky" back in the Depression days. Now I see from my friends over at Wikipedia that I wasn't far off the mark (if you trust Wikipedia).

The entry for Wacky Cake (and it does exist) says: Wacky cake is a spongy, cocoa based cake. It is unique in that unlike most pastries and desserts, no eggs or milk are used to make the cake batter.

It is commonly believed Wacky Cake may have been created as the result of rationing during World War II, when milk and eggs were scarce. Active ingredients in wacky cake include flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, vegetable oil, white vinegar and vanilla extract. Some recipes add brewed coffee as an additional ingredient. The cake may be topped with icing or confectioner's sugar, or even served plain.

It is not known for a fact where Wacky Cake first originated, or who created it. However, it has been said that the recipe was first created by Beatrice Fe O'Hearn, who has passed it down through her family and friends since the late 1930's. The cake is considered a popular delicacy at bake sales in numerous rural regions of the United States.

I guess it is sometimes referred to as Kooky Cake and Crazy Cake, too. I'm just relieved the old family recipe has nothing to do with my family!

1 comment:

Rayna Delaney said...

Had nothing to do with our family other than we'd all go "wacky" with excitement when Mom made this cake! :) Ummmm! Good!