Sunday, March 22, 2009

Support the Troops... and their Moms


I used to pick on my twin sister and insist that those 9 whole minutes I was in this world before her arrival made me not only older, but wiser, too. Of course, last year, as we approached our birthday, she was quick to return the favor, reminding me I was turning 40 first.

That's what being twins is all about -- a lot of give and take. In other words, you better not give it unless you can take it!

Seriously, though, it goes beyond the giving of grief and sarcasm that marked our younger years. Just as our bodies and hair color have matured, so have our efforts at giving. Now, a supportive hug or listening ear is more the norm. We've each been through some rough patches in life when we've just needed that one person to say, "I don't judge you. I just love you." I could count on her to be that person, just as she could me.

Today I realized I'll need to provide support of a magnitude I know I can't handle alone. As we gathered at her home to send her son off to Iraq with hugs and prayers, I could see it will take all of us as a family to pray for Tony abroad and be there for Raylene and her family on the homefront.

When I hugged Tony goodbye, I told him, "I'll take care of your mom. You just get yourself home safely."

If only it were that easy. Good thing I'm finally wise enough to know that between God, friends and family, we never have to handle it alone.

God bless you, Tony. We're so proud of you!

No comments: