Tuesday, April 6, 2010

April Showers

When you see the entire state radar covered in "green," you know there's no way we'll avoid rain. And that's OK. It's not like the grass doesn't need it. And I certainly don't have any tee times in the near future. So bring it on.

We had a thunderstorm in Iola this afternoon but it did not knock out electricity. So we had to keep on working. Dang. (Apparently there were outages overnight in that area, but we escaped that in Rapids.)

I hope the weather didn't prevent anyone from voting today. I know my sister, who is a town clerk Up North, was expecting a very busy day. We had a big race in our township, too, so we swung over there after work.

Jim spent his evening helping out with baseball tryouts for the 9- and 10-year-olds. Luckily it's indoors! The tryouts for the 11- and 12-year-olds (Carter's age group) will be Thursday. I heard Carter tell the neighbor that he is "so good" he doesn't have to try out. In reality, the coaches' kids don't need to try out -- they are making a team (if their dad is nice). Jim will still have to "work" that one Thursday and then draft his team.

I spent too much of my evening on a simple task. Carter will love me for sharing this. His left thumb is still so swollen/painful that he can't snap or button his pants. So for the last 2 days he has worn the same pair of sweatpants. Now that it's in the high 40s/low 50s, it's too chilly for shorts (in Mom's opinion). So I had just one mission: Go buy a pair or two of boys' sweatpants.

I struck out at ShopKo, where they one pair of boys' XLs on the clearance rack. As a clearance rack junkie, I know this is where they put the "end of season" items. So even though it's 49 degrees and rainy in Wisconsin (where it's never really warm consistently until June), pants are out of season. (On a side note, I did get lucky and find the Hoosiers movie, which Carter and I have been looking for for a month.)

So onto Wal-Mart... which hasn't ever let me down (yet).

Same situation there: Jeans (and other button pants), shorts and swim trunks were in abundance. This time, though, they had one pair of athletic/wind pants on the clearance rack that were Carter's size. Wasn't sure if he'd be into the light blue color but they were only 3 bucks. If he didn't like them, I'd just put them on the garage sale this weekend. I decided to look in the men's department in case they had any XS sweats. No luck. I did buy a pair of Small grey ones. If they are too big for Carter, then I'll just wear them (and burn the hole-y pair I wear 5 days a week).

So I did have some success but can't believe that the person in charge of store inventory doesn't give sweatpants a little more time on the shelf in chilly Wisconsin. Yikes.

Well, the good news is Carter liked the light blue pants so at least he can wear something clean tomorrow. Now I just have to convince him that he doesn't have to wear that Washington, D.C., hoodie every stinkin' day :)

No comments: