Saturday, April 3, 2010

MPH (Miles Per Headache)

Ironic that Carter can travel 2,540 miles in one week without any problems and I can't even make it Up North without a major headache.

I was thinking in the early part of my drive this morning that I probably hadn't made the 200-mile trek to Luck by myself for a whole lotta years. Usually Carter or Jim are with me. The advantages to going by myself, I quickly surmised, are that I can listen to whatever music I want, I can stop for as many potty breaks as my micro-bladder demands and, most importantly, I don't have the share my traditional Twizzlers with anyone!

The disadvantages, however, are that you are on your own if you have car trouble. And if that happens north of Highway 8, good luck getting a cell phone signal...

To make a long story short, the car overheated. The temperature gauge went through the roof, the car steamed or smoked and I pulled it onto the shoulder on the east side of Luck, about 190 miles into the trip!

Now if this were a movie or book, I'd make it interesting and say the car just happened to die right in front of the house where my best friend from high school grew up... Actually, that did happen. Crazy coincidence, I know. And her parents were home! We had a nice visit while I waited for the car to cool down enough to check the radiator.

I went back out and tried to add water and discovered a hose for the radiator had come off. Wasn't broken or lost, just not attached. So I reattached the radiator hose (just to keep my Gearhead Degree current) and drove into their driveway. Julie's dad then added some coolant and we let the car run a bit to be sure we were OK. Julie's mom sent me on my way with a hug and jug of water.

After the hour delay, I still made it to my parents' before half my family. That's how we roll.

Had a nice sunny day for our annual Easter Egg Hunt. Since Carter had our digital camera, I brought my old-school manual one that I hope worked. We'll see when I get the pictures developed (assuming somebody still does that). Had a nice but too-short visit with the family and then hit the road shortly after 5.

I was really nervous about that drive home. I kept eyeing the temperature gauge like every 5 seconds. In the meantime, Jim knew nothing about my adventure. For the record, I had to get all the way to the south side of Rice Lake (an hour-plus from my parents') before I got a darn cell phone signal! When I talked to him, he said he'd be picking up Carter around 7:15 so they would beat me home.

I only made one stop -- to empty bladder and check the radiator hose -- so I made good time. It was so nice to be hugging my baby again! He has so much to tell us and we haven't even gotten to the pictures yet! Since the Easter bunny brought him all new bedding, he is showering right now so he'll wash that "road dust" off before getting into the new bed.

Despite the long travel day for both of us, I think it's going to be awhile before any of us claims to be tired! At least my headache's gone :)

No comments: