Friday, April 2, 2010

Belated April Fools

I should know better than to speak too soon about good fortune. I had to brag yesterday about the wonderful weather and how nice a day it was for April. Then when I least expected it, Mother Nature played her joke today!

Knowing we were in for another warm day, our plans were simple. Work until noon. Go to church. Come home and change. Then go golf. We had a tee time for 3:30 at The Ridges. It was a nice plan.

Well we got out of work on time and got to church on time. Coming out of church I noticed the wind was getting wicked. But the temps were at least 70 so it didn't feel nasty out, just a bit breezy for a golf day. There was no way, though, I was going to not go!

We did notice on the radar before we left the house that rain definitely was headed our way and possibly storms. Hubby said, "We'll be lucky to get 9 in." He proved to be right (and need to point those occasions out).

Golf itself was as expected for the first time out after nearly 5 months. (I hate winter.) I had some big numbers and my putter saw a lot of extra action today. About the 4th hole, I started to get the swing of things. By the 5th hole, it was sprinkling and by the 6th, it was a steady light, light rain. By now I'm thinking two things: "Nice April Fools' joke, Mother Nature" and "I wonder if my boss with still make me take this miserable afternoon as vacation time!"

Then it stopped so I had a decent 7th and 8th holes -- not as decent as hubby, who had a few birdies on his card today! The 9th hole was looking good. I out-drove hubby by a mile and had an awesome second shot. The 3rd was a bit off-kilter but the 4th had me at the edge of the green. By the time we got up to it, the rain was in full force again and the wind was whipping it like a monsoon. I was trying to putt and the wind whipped my jacket so I couldn't see the ball, missed it, hit the green first, then the ball, and had a horrible putt!

We managed to wrap up and get inside the clubhouse in record time. By the time we were done with our dinner there, I'd dried off a bit and my toes were no longer purple. So by then I thinking I wouldn't have changed a thing ... other than a few 3-putts.

Got home tonight and made some treats to take Up North tomorrow for my family's annual Easter Egg Hunt. Looks like I'll be flying solo. Hubby has to work and Carter won't get home until late Saturday evening. Not that we're counting down or anything...

No comments: