Monday, April 5, 2010

Spring Break Scrapbook

A few words and photos from Carter on
"How I spent my Spring Break"...

My friend Harry and I played catch with the football with the U.S. Capitol building in the background.

As we were walking down the street, we happened to pass by the FBI building in D.C. We didn't see any agents going in and out of it, though.

The Visitors' Center connected to the Capitol was still worth seeing, along with the built-in museum.

We toured the Museum of U.S. History and in there we went into the musical instruments exhibit. The size of the violin in the middle is seen here compared to a hand.

The Air and Space Museum was filled with interesting and quite humorous planes.

Gift Shop Report! Harry and I goofed around with Civil War hats -- but we honestly got along fine during the trip!
We walked past the White House, which was a very worthwhile stop. No, I did not see the president, but it was cool to see the actual White House!
It was a gorgeous sight to see the cherry blossoms (which brought in an extra 3,500 visitors to the D.C. area).
The Arlington National Cemetery would not usually be called enjoyable, but it was a very worthwhile trip.

At the Arlington Cemetery, we made a walk up to the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and we planned to get there when they were changing the guards. (We were lucky!)

The Jamestown Glass House (not the 1600s one, but the present-day one) was cool to see how they blew air into the hot "goop," then the goop was stuck in water to cool off, then added stamps/design as shown at bottom of glass.

You better be an American!!

Next to the Jamestown Glass House some "knucklehead" grew bamboo years ago, which produces quite quickly. We broke off some bamboo to keep, but it was hard to do because it is a very strong material.

Waiting in line for the ferry that took us to our campground in Virginia, we not only went to see a pretty campsite, we saw a pretty sunset.

We toured the Naval Base in Norfolk (displayed anchors on side of visitors' building).

The largest ship in the world is shown here. The fuel lasts, on average, 25 years. And it takes 3-4 years to refuel!!! Up close, it was quite large.

On our way home, we took a lunch break and took some beautiful pictures of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia.

Thank you, fans of my mom's blog or me as a "visitor's blog" for taking the time to read about my trip. And I also hope all of you had a wonderful Easter. Maybe next time I'll take you with!

Thankyouverymuch!

Carter

3 comments:

Rayna Delaney said...

Great pictures Carter! Did you take the pictures where you were not in the photo or did someone else take them, like the White House and cherry blossoms? I am sure glad you got to West Virginia before me, because now after you telling me about "wild" WV, I really want to go there! Love, Rayna (and Paul)

Robyn Austin said...

Yes, Carter was the camera man for most of them. And, as directed, took lots of photos! Scrapbookin' Mom was not disappointed :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very great trip. Glad you had so much fun and learned a few things besides. I hope to make it out there someday myself. Good job on the blogging. YOu're a natural. Auntie Lene