Monday, May 31, 2010

Burning Skin, er, Burning Rubber

It was a nice sunny day for racing. Too sunny, some would say. Our nephew Colin had a big Super Late Model race today -- the Memorial 100 -- so we spent the afternoon at Golden Sands Speedway. Since we face the track and the sun is to our left, we all got a bit crispy on our left side, too. But it was worth it. It was somewhat of a historic day.

When Colin was growing up, he idolized his uncle, race car driver Flyin' Bryan Reffner. Today, for the first time, he got to race against him! That was pretty cool.

I had to make sure I took a picture in the early part of the feature, where Colin is actually ahead of Bryan (#80). As it turned out, though, Bryan finished 4th and Colin was just outside the Top 10 with an 11th-place finish. He's getting better all the time. That's what counts!

During the intermission, they shot t-shirts out of a "canon" of sorts. Again, I did not have one come my way. I don't know what it takes to get one! Perhaps if I asked. (ha)

Here Colin waves to the crowd after driver introductions prior to the 100-lap race.

One of the interesting things going on -- besides the main race -- was that this guy JonBoy from a show called Madhouse was there, trying to break the track record. I know nothing about him or the show. But I do know he didn't break the record. I figured I would take a picture of him anyway since I haven't run into any celebrities lately!
I gotta log off. I have to find the sunburn spray, big time, for my red knees. Don't want to be so miserable I can't go back to work tomorrow!

No comments: