Sunday, May 16, 2010

Fasting

The word FAST certainly describes how quickly this weekend went, but it also doesn't begin to describe the speed those cars were whipping around the track last night. This is a new experience for our nephew Colin -- and his family and fans.

They rolled out the car for the first time last night at Marshfield Motor Speedway. This was 16-year-old Colin's debut in the Super Late Model division which, is the fastest. Yes, definitely the fastest.

Track personnel and fans were pretty excited about this car which brings back memories for central Wisconsin fans who followed racing in the 1970s. Colin's #88 Blue Knight commemorates the SuperAmerica Racing Knights -- Grandpa Tom Reffner, Dick Trickle & Johnny Boegeman -- who have all seen this car and thrown in their support (and a few words of advice) for Colin. How cool is that?

We were all pretty nervous for Colin but he handled himself just fine. He didn't finish with the results he wanted, but you've got to start somewhere. It was just helpful to get some experience behind the wheel (and amongst other drivers on the track). We were just grateful he finished in one piece! This might be a bit of an unnerving season for his mom and this old aunt!

We got home pretty late and, after loading a few picks to the online racing page, it was after midnight and less than 8 hours away from alarm time. This morning, I did get up in time to get Carter to Sunday School. I threw on my Reffner Racing hat and sneaked out of the house without taking a shower. Yikes. So very glad I did not run into anyone I know when I was grabbing some groceries at Wal-Mart!

Got home and made lunch, then had a big work project that had to get done today. I was torn between working on that, watching the Twins on TBS (it's rare for me to see them on TV here) or getting out in the sunshine. It was a gorgeous day!!

I know what you're going to say. This is Robyn, the sun goddess, she went outside. Nope. Not right away. I stuck to my guns and got the work project done. Then went for a little 2-mile walk just to get some sunshine. Yes, it was after 3 p.m. before I finally took a shower. Uff da. I did manage to catch the end of the Twins games, too, while folding laundry. Nicely done, boys.

Spent a little time this evening helping Carter with some batting practice -- but mainly let Daddy handle that one. I don't know the first thing but, as you know, it can only be done outside. So I grabbed a few extra minutes of sunshine.

I just checked the long-range forecast, too, and it is going to be sunny and mid- to high 70s here this week! Awesome! Gosh, I suddenly feel a virus coming on... I hope I don't have to stay home from work all week...

No comments: