Monday, May 17, 2010

Taking a Swing

I finally got to see the young Reds team in action tonight. They were going into the game 0-2 against an undefeated Phillies team which, according to my scouting reports, has already hit 2 homers out of the park this year.

Tonight, their first batter hit a 3rd.

Yep, it wasn't a pretty game. I can't even joke about the Bad News Bears because it's just plain sad. I think part of it is my disappointment in our dear son's efforts, or lack of them.

My husband occasionally quotes someone famous (who I didn't take the time to look up) who says: "In order to finish first, you must first finish." Good logic there. In Carter's case it is: "In order to hit the ball, you must first swing." I'm serious. He struck out looking during each of his at-bats tonight.

I don't understand it. He practiced hours yesterday and I thought his confidence was up. But then he gets in the game situation and he doesn't swing. I'm not smart enough to get it, I just knew to keep my mouth shut on the long drive home. I hope he snaps out of it because we've got a whole lotta ball yet to play this summer.

The unknown wise person's quote (who was thinking about racing when he said it) still holds true for a lot of things.

In order to have a clean house, I must first clean. (Ha.)

In order to write a book, I must first write. (Yup, gotta get going on that.)

In order to lose weight, I must first find it. (Hey, I did that!)

OK, that last one probably doesn't reflect the true spirit of wisdom, but it's worth noting that I have accomplished something.

Now if I could just get someone to take a swing, we'll be in business. Lord, give me wisdom to understand it... or strength to keep my mouth shut...

No comments: