Saturday, May 29, 2010

Doin' Chores

Since this was our "free day," no one in this house got out of bed before 8 a.m. today. Awesome! (Of course, when you go to bed at midnight or so, it's not that big a treat.)

I said something over breakfast about this being a good day for chores. In my mind I was thinking about dusting, vacuuming, laundry, perhaps extending it to some special projects that should get done.

Carter actually took me seriously and, without me asking, went out and got the wheelbarrow and picked up sticks in the back yard so Dad could mow. While he was doing that, I went out for a run/walk. I wanted to run the whole 4-mile route, but it was too stinkin' hot at 10 a.m. already. I should have gone earlier. Oh well, I did it. And got my first woodtick of the season while I was at it!

When I got back, Carter wanted to know what other chores he should do. I know -- what aliens came and took my child and gave us this one? I thought he was up to something since he normally doesn't just help out like this unless he wants something. It's now 9:30 at night and I still haven't figured it out yet.

Anyway, since he was asking -- and had the wheelbarrow available -- I said we might as well pull weeds out of various landscaping areas. That was one of those special projects I knew I should do today but didn't want to. With Carter's help, it wasn't so bad. And now it's done. I haven't decided yet if Ms. Black Thumb is going to plant anything yet. Hmmm, what should I kill?

After showers and lunch, I decided to take Carter mini-golfing. That was my idea, not his. Since Jim was mowing the back yard, he was too hot to go. So we went to Newman's, which is a very inexpensive little place in town (that also happens to sell ice cream). We had a nice time. I ended beating Carter by only one stroke (according to the scorecard he kept). I took some pictures (of course) and will have to post them tomorrow. As I'm typing, I'm simultaneously uploading pictures to get prints done.

After golf, we got a cool treat. Carter had a root beer shake and I was just thirsty so I got a blue raspberry slushie. Yummy.

Since this sort of turned into a Mommy-Carter day, tonight we went to Iron Man 2 so that I could finally see it. This was part of our weekend plan and I actually got the tickets earlier this week. Was glad I got to see it on the big screen. Carter was right -- it is awesome!! Really, really liked it!

Got home and hubby and the next-door neighbor were actually having a fire in our fire pit for a change. So as soon as these pictures get done uploading, I am outta here. There is no bedtime and no alarm setting going on here. Our "chores" are done and it's time to relax!

Hope you can do the same this weekend!

No comments: