Tuesday, May 18, 2010

No Deal

Every time I look out our picture window and see those darn squirrels stealing our bird seed, I pound on the window or yell out there to scare them away.

Hubby thinks it's time to get a BB gun. Carter thinks that's cool, too. I think "He'll shoot his eye out!" (Guess that gets ingrained in a mom's head after watching A Christmas Story a couple dozen times.)

On our way to work this week, we've played dodge the roadkill. For some reason, there are a lot of smashed up squirrels who must have been sassing off to drivers. I was almost sad today when we saw one squirrel squatting in mourning by the squished body of a friend or family member. I see too many of those kid movies, like Over the Hedge, and think he's going to look up with a big tear rolling down his cheek.

I got over it.

I'm also reminded of an episode of Seinfeld where George's girlfriend is disgusted when George runs over some pigeons with his car. George believes that pigeons and humans "have a deal" -- pigeons are to move out of the way when humans approach, and humans will overlook the pigeons' statue defecation. But when the pigeons have broken the deal, they deserve to get hit.

I think those squirrels broke the deal.

I also think that I finally know what to get Jim for Father's Day!

Of course, Santa won't be coming around for 7 months, so where am I gonna get my hands on one of them Red Ryders?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fleet Farm or Tractor Supply. Lene

Brent Frankenhoff said...

You might also want to look at the Air Soft (Soft Air) guns that are like BB guns, but only sting a bit. Pain might well deter the squirrels.

Brent

Anonymous said...

Or you could get a slingshot and a bag of green peas or beans (raw, hard ones, uncooked ones Robyn!) and if you have a better aim than I do, you might sting em a bit until they decide it's time to try again for a snack (or meal)! Good luck! Romey