Sunday, May 9, 2010

Following Her Footsteps

What a nice Mother's Day! I hope all you mothers and stepmothers and grandmothers and motherly types had a wonderful day today. We all deserve it!

My own mother worked especially hard this week to earn this day of rest. She raised $2,313 and was the second highest individual money raiser among 100-some walkers who participated in the American Cancer Society walk in Luck yesterday. At 78 years old, my mom doesn't walk regularly but since she is physically able to do it -- and knows a ton of generous people -- she decided to put some effort toward a good cause. All of us kids are very proud of her.

Taking walks with Mom was something we started at a very young age. We absolutely loved walking in the woods, looking for special sticks or pretty leaves -- and often stepping around cow pies. In the picture above, taken in kindergarten, I am in the middle hugging my mom and twin sister. (It always looks like I'm strangling Raylene but I honestly do love her!)

Those early walks must be one of the reasons I like being outside so much -- walking, running, biking, golfing, sitting (in a chair in the sunshine)! Thanks for getting me started, Mom. Today I did get outside, too.

Hubby made me a gigantic yummy breakfast of Eggs Benedict (my favorite and a Mother's Day tradition for us). I was still full after church and lunchtime so I went for a walk. Ran probably half of the 3-mile loop but then I was still too full to do more. Great breakfast, hon! He also helped Carter buy me some new Assumption Royals gear so I can be a supportive mom next year at his new school. I got a wind jacket and sweatshirt. Very cool!!

This afternoon we went to Jim's parents ... and ate some more. Visited, too. Got home when it was still light enough out to go for a bike ride. I am always begging Carter to go for a walk or ride, anything outside. This time it was his idea. I guess he was being nice since it was my day, after all. He was kind enough to pose for a picture of us two as well.

I guess he felt the need to puff out his chest because he is so proud I am his mom... Or was he just trying to look as tall as me?

Since it's still my day, I'll choose to believe the first!

No comments: