Thursday, May 13, 2010

Home Sleep Home

I'm ba-a-ack! I had an unexpected break from blogging this week. My trip out of town was expected, yes, but I also had expected some free time to get to a computer and write. Didn't work out that way.

Land of Lincoln: From Monday through Wednesday, I was in Schaumburg, Ill., on the outskirts of Chicago for a work conference. I shouldn't call it a conference. We referred to it as an Innovation Summit... time away from the various company offices (around the U.S. and beyond) to think hard, think collectively and think big. It was very worthwhile.

Of course, when you're in Chicago, things are already "big" -- at least somewhat grand or on the expensive side. The hotel we stayed at was very, very, very nice. Did I mention is was nice? I just had to take a picture of the TV built into the bathroom mirror -- for the businessman who doesn't want to miss the financial news while he's shaving in the morning... or for Robyn who doesn't want to miss Sports Center on ESPN while she's curling her hair. Pretty cool, eh?

Wii big different: After Tuesday's day full of meetings and thinking, we had dinner reservations at a place called Pinstripes, which boasted Bowling, Bocce & Bistro. Not your typical bowling alley from Wisconsin, that's for sure! Even had leather couches to sit on while waiting your turn. Very upscale, but the lanes were still the same width and same length -- just a bit more difficult to see with the mood lighting. Not that I'm making excuses. Thanks to my recent Wii training, I did better than my usual struggle to break a hundred. In fact, my first frame was a strike! Beginner's luck. I did pull out a 135 which is very good for me.

Home Sleep Home: That was it for the fun. Headed back Wednesday evening and I got home by midnight. I am dead tired after a few sleep-reduced nights and a very busy work day today catching up. I anticipate I'll be in bed before Carter tonight -- mainly since he'll be up watching the Celtics hopefully win and move on in the playoffs.

Runs, Hits, Errors: Speaking of Carter, I missed out on some of his activities this week. In the Runs category, he had his once-a-year 6th-grade track meet with all the elementary schools. Daddy had to wear long underwear to spectate that Wednesday morning! Carter did triple jump, shot put and 100m dash. He will not be taking home any gold medals.

The Hits category reflects the first 2 baseball games. Oh, I don't necessarily mean Carter had the hits. The Reds lost 3-zip on Monday night and tied 6-6 Wednesday evening in a game called for the time limit. I guess it was a bit chilly both nights. Maybe it's not so bad missing a game or 2. The other "hit" is just a little positive side note. Carter tried out for and made the baseball tournament team! So we'll have to adjust our summer weekend schedules (which I previously noted were already full to some extent). Should be fun though.

The Error category is a bit unfair. Hubby was assigned the task of capturing some of this with pictures this week. Of course he couldn't shoot while coaching baseball but the track meet didn't quite go as well as I hoped. He was there but missed Carter's shot put and triple jump -- which were both somehow done in the first 10 minutes. In his defense, he had a 2-minute tutorial (over the phone) on how to use my/our new camera, so the 100m dash pictures sure look like Carter must have been running fast! At least too fast to stay in the frame. Ah well, you live and learn. I was just glad Jim was able to go.

I'm also just glad to be home. End of story. (er, blog.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do realize, I hope, that those bathroom TV's have web cams installed.

Paul

Robyn Austin said...

LOL. Well you've got something else to look forward to on the Internet!