Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hump Day Happenings

Scared to Death: We've gotten some good feedback and suggestions on how to get rid of those thievin' varmints in our backyard. I think the point is we don't want to just scare them -- or they'll keep coming back and this will be a full-time job. (Though if I had to sit out on the deck to do it, I might apply.) I think we only need options with some finality for the squirrels. Of course, I don't want to see any blood and guts, so we'll keep thinking on this one.

A to Z: During our morning conversation today, Carter was checking to see if the cat needed food. Her dish is in basement next to an "old" stereo and a big CD tower/bookcase. He must have been looking that over because he suddenly asks, "Mom, are these alphabetized?!" I'm immediately defensive. "Yes, sorry, Mommy's a little anal retentive." Then of course I had to explain what "anal retentive" means. I don't think he was listening. But that's OK. That should not be the first lesson of the day for a 6th-grader. Plus, I'm sure he'll figure it out eventually -- once he catches a glimpse of my color-coded sock drawer!

Over the Top: I think we need to start a tradition that hubby and I get to stop at King Cone every day that both of our teams are on top of their respective divisions. Don't look now, but the Twins and Reds are hot! Keep it up. Way up. On top! (And by the way, Nutty Explosion was pretty darn tasty.)

Perfect Pitch: Carter finally explained that the reason he didn't swing the other night is because he was waiting for a good pitch. I gently explained back that these are other kids pitching. They are unlikely to throw you a perfect pitch. You have to adjust and go for it. (Not that I know anything.) Tonight they played a late game against the Brewers team, which has only won one game so far. So we had a chance. We did lead for awhile, too. Carter got hit by a pitch to get on once. The next at bat, he finally swung! But that was it. He ended up striking out lookin'. So I don't know. I talked to him on the way home and we didn't come up with any answers. Tomorrow night we've got nothing going on so maybe, just maybe, he and coach can take some batting practice. Oh, and we blew our lead so we lost 6-4. Sigh...

Add 'em Up: Yesterday I posted something on Facebook about remembering to count your blessings. I said: "Life can change in an instant. Sometimes less than an instant. Be grateful for what you have -- and who you have -- this instant." When I wrote it, I was thinking of a close friend of mine whose cousin was seriously injured in a fatal car accident Sunday night. But now it seems it was a premonition of sorts.

Found out tonight my dad is in the hospital. He experienced tightness in his chest while mowing the lawn. Yes, he's 82 years old and yes, he was mowing. And I hope to heck it was the rider, not a push mower. Anyway, they don't think it was a heart attack but they're keeping him overnight for observation and more tests in the morning. I'm surprisingly not wigging out about this. I know this is in God's hands and I've been praying. But I certainly wouldn't turn down a few extra thoughts upward, if you wouldn't mind.

Happy Hump Day!

No comments: