Sunday, May 30, 2010

Wheelin' & Dealin'

I got a hot tip around the campfire last night that my running shoes were on clearance this weekend over at MC Sports in Plover. So this morning, after Daddy left to golf with a neighbor and Carter got his 11 hours of sleep, the 2 of us headed east.

And I wasn't just looking for shoes.

For the past 2 summers, I have been wanting to get a new bicycle to replace my now 18-year-old hybrid bike. Yes, it still works. But I am not a fan of the hybrid style. The wheels are thin like the old school 10-speeds so they don't do well off-road. Not that I am mountain bike queen, but there is a nice path around the lake nearby that has a few areas unpaved that my current bike doesn't handle. It just fish tails like I'm about to hit the dirt. Not liking that. So I have been shopping around for the past month. Today I cleaned out the trunk before we left "just in case."

And I found a "case."

Robyn the deal-digging bargain shopper scored big today. Not only did I get my shoes half price, which is a very good deal, I test-rode and purchased a new "comfort" bike (with fatter wheels!), also on sale in the price range I was aiming for. So it was good.

Since Carter had birthday money burning a hole in his pocket, we went to Wal-Mart over there. He bought a battery charger thing for his Wii remotes and also bought another Wii game -- Sports Resort -- that looks pretty fun.

With today's high heat and humidity, Jim only golfed 9 holes. So after I got my accessories on my bike, we went to a graduation party for the son of one of his school mates. Of course, we saw a few other people we knew, too, and had a very nice time. Did I mention there was yummy cake with good frosting?? Yep, that was a high point, too!

Got home and it had cooled down to the mid 80s so I took the new bike out for a spin. Very comfortable! Good seat and I sit up straight more than the other bike so it doesn't bother my back. I think I'm gonna like it!

While I was out, the "boys" broke in the new Wii game. I don't mind seeing Carter work up a sweat. That means he moving at least. While they played, I plunked myself down on the couch to watch my Twins on Sunday Night Baseball. Got to cheer them onto a win -- which was almost as good as my deals of the day... but, really, it's hard to top good frosting!

No comments: