Saturday, May 1, 2010

Birthday Treats

I think we can officially call this a "birthday weekend" because it's been filled with too many treats to confine it to one day!

Last evening we got some much-needed rain so soccer practice was canceled. Since Carter couldn't play outside, he decided to show us how he learned to play Happy Birthday on his trumpet (which I just realized he forgot to do for his party today). Anyway, he didn't have sheet music for the song so he created some and played from that. A little later, he asked if he could play the organ -- referring to an old electric organ that I think used to reside in the basement of Jim's childhood home.

Two things to know about this organ. One, Jim can play it very, very well -- using both hands plus the foot pedals -- but doesn't let people know that. Two, Carter has never touched it (or a piano).

But he sat down with this Happy Birthday sheet music and figured out in just a few minutes how to play it on the organ! I was quite impressed. But that was just the beginning. For the next hour, I heard him play through all of his band music. He could do every song -- even Eye of the Tiger -- on the organ. Unreal! What a treat.

After that, Daddy and I decided to kick his butt in a game of Dirty Rummy just to take his ego down a notch or two.

Since today is Carter's birthday, he got to pick breakfast. So I made blueberry pancakes. Then we cleaned up the house a bit and headed over to soccer. I don't know if it was the power breakfast or extra birthday energy, but the whole team was rockin' today! They won 8-0!

Carter played goalie the first half and had a handful of saves which, ultimately, helped in the shutout.

This is my favorite "action shot" with my new camera. Both feet off the ground and a look of determination. Love it!

This one also was good as he and teammate Peter go after the ball to keep it away from the orange team! The more goals they scored, the more energized they all seemed to get. Fun to watch!


After 4 p.m. we had Jim's parents and sister (and family), along with our friends the Jacksons, over for supper (pizza) and presents and cake.
Carter got some very nice gifts and was quite surprised when he opened the Wii. With the help of his cousin Colin, he got that set up in no time and they were boxing and bowling and playing baseball. His friend Nate has one at home so he was giving some inside tips, too. After everyone went home, I had Carter show me how it works. I beat him in a short game of golf. (I think I'm going to like this thing!)

Although we were stuffed from pizza, we did find room for some Dirt Cake. I expect I'll come crashing down from that sugar high shortly and then I'll be ready for bed. I had to wait up anyway. Carter doesn't officially turn 12 until 10:15 p.m.


Guess I can go give him his birthday kisses and tuck him in. There's no guarantee he'll let me do that next year... or even next week! I'll appreciate that kind of birthday treat when I can get it!

No comments: