Monday, May 2, 2011

Brought To You By The Letter B

Besides the fact that I have been saying, "Brrr" for several hours, it seems that B words have made up my entire day...

Bin Laden: Obviously, I was tucked into bed and sound asleep by the time the Osama bin Laden news broke last night. When I heard it this morning, I honestly had no reaction. I think the newspaper reporter in me was skeptical about believing it when there is no "body" of evidence. I eventually got to read some details on this this afternoon and am a little more convinced he's really dead. However, this achievement is like successfully stopping one leak in a dam when water is spewing out in several places. It doesn't stop the other activity. But hopefully, it is a good start.

Baseball: The "Brrr"-ing started this afternoon at the cold and windy baseball game. You know what's worse than sitting huddled under blankets in 36-degree temps and watching baseball? Sitting huddled under blankets in 36-degree temps and seeing your team get smoked. Again. 10-nothing. Again. Poor Carter did not have a good outing. Never got on base. But then, not many teammates did, either. Oh well, it was a chance to travel down to Port Edwards so I at least know where the field is next time. Thankfully, I had an excuse to leave early...

Book: My pastor is conducting a book study over three Mondays on The Shack. I left the baseball game a bit early so I could pick up my friend Christine and head to the coffee house. It was great to see about 20 people show up for this! I read the book a year ago or so and enjoyed it. Learned a lot then. Now, going through it a second time and discussing it, I am getting even more out of it. Due to baseball conflicts, I may not get to participate fully in the next two Monday discussions. I'm going to try, though. It's definitely a worthwhile read. You're free to borrow my copy when this is done, too!

Baking: For some reason, Carter enjoys volunteering to make or bake things as part of class presentations -- even though his volunteering means mother's time and energy. So he needs a "Thailand dessert" for social studies. I tried to find the easiest thing possible but this will still be a two-night process because I got home around 8:30 from the book study and just pulled the bars out of the oven 10 minutes ago. I'm not staying up 'til these "Pineapple Dream Bars" cool completely so I can add the glaze. I will have to do that tomorrow night when I allegedly have more time and energy -- after another baseball game, followed by a band concert. Does it help that Carter hugged me and said I was the best mom in the world? A little bit. But not quite enough.

Right now I just want one more B word... Bed!

No comments: