Monday, May 23, 2011

Damage Assessment

The more I learn about how damaging last night's storm was, the more grateful I am we escaped it.

Turns out the path closest to us -- the one that leveled at least one house and damaged about 35 more -- was about 4 "country blocks" away. So about 4 miles or less. Much too close for comfort!

I talked to Carter's old babysitters today since they were just north of it, too. As of this afternoon, they were still waiting for power. And it wasn't projected to be back on until tomorrow morning -- some 36 hours after the storm.

Why was the power out? Just south of them on 80th Street near Evergreen, where the confirmed tornado hit, 4 power poles were knocked over "like dominoes," she said. Not good at all.

I guess overall, there was a million dollars in damage estimated in the area south of Rapids. Yikes.

I am pretty grateful that the only thing I had to really worry about today was keeping the score book at the baseball game. This was my first go at it this season since I have worked concessions his previous 2 league games. I'm guessing I did a pretty good job. I gave us a 13-8 win!

Yay, Coach Austin and son!

No comments: