Sunday, May 8, 2011

New Directions

You know it's going to be a good Mother's Day when your hubby makes breakfast reservations. At the kitchen table. And serves you up the Mother's Day Special -- Eggs Benedict.

That's how the past several Mother's Days have started so yes, I've come to expect it. And yes, I am spoiled.

But I deserve it, right?

Carter was very excited for me to open my card and present before going to church. I can see why. He made the card himself and even wrote all the mushy stuff:

20 years from now, it won't matter....
The jeans you bought,
The car you drove,
The sneakers you had,
The phone you used,
The hairstyle you had.
The ONLY thing that will matter is that YOU are the best mom ever!

Mom: This is for you so you can find me wherever life leads me. Thanks for giving me direction, even when I think I don't need it.

Love, Carter


Am I the only one crying? Then I opened my present and it was a Garmin GPS! Wow, he's right. I will be able to find him wherever life leads him!

I really didn't need anything else to happen to make it a perfect Mother's Day. But more did, of course...

Came home from church and hubby had installed a new screen door on the front deck. We've needed a new one for years and that is what i actually asked for. Still need to make some adjustments to get that project done, but it's the thought that counts!

Was able to enjoy some time in the sun again since we had temps of 66 degrees. Got to read in my lounge chair for an hour. (Happy Mother's Day, Mother Nature!)

Talked to my 79-year-old mother who is recovering today after doing a Cancer Walk in Luck yesterday. She mailed out 270 letters asking for donations to help "stamp" out cancer and single-handedly raised $2,788, making her the second-highest fundraiser. Way to go, Mom! My brother and 2 of my sisters also did the walk with her. Very cool.

Carter and I had some mother-son time late this afternoon when we took an 8-mile bike ride. Basically, we biked to the lake and pedaled the same trail I ran yesterday. It's a heckuva lot easier to bike than run, but enjoyable either way.

After we got back, we went to see Jim's parents and brought a card and cake (from our church fundraiser) for his mom. Came home and grilled burgers for supper. Yum. I am actually too full for ice cream!

But it's early yet. Mother's Day doesn't get over until midnight.

Hope your day was as special as mine!

No comments: