Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Martha Knows Best

Except for the whole prison thing, I admire Martha Stewart and her sense of creativity -- even though it can add precious minutes, even hours, to make something move beyond the classification of "just average."

I often wondered how the heck she got all that done. Then I remembered. She had a whole arsenal of assistants to help. I am often reminded of this after a major baking binge when hubby kindly inquires, "Hey, Martha, you waiting for your TV crew to clean this up?"

Oh how I wish I had one!

Tonight I was relieved to get home before 8 p.m. the first time this week. But then I remembered I had to get 4 cakes baked for a Mother's Day cake fundraiser at a our church. So I got right on that!

Yes, the magnet on the fridge still screams: "Stop me before I volunteer!" But this is to help offset Carter's Confirmation Camp costs so I couldn't turn this down.

So while cakes #3, #4, #5 and #6 of the week are cooling, I'll have to tell you that cake #1 -- Carter's birthday Dirt Cake -- was quite delicious. And cake #2 -- my "made-up" Thailand dessert for Carter's social studies presentation -- was a hit with the kids, he said. Excellent.

Do you notice a common theme here -- besides the fact I am living, breathing Cake Boss? All these cakes are for Carter, in one way or another. How does that work? He's right. I am the world's greatest mom!

I just won't tell him that the reason I was late picking him up at baseball practice was my "detour" to King Cone for their Blueberry Waffle Cone ice cream! Naw, no need to tell him.

I'll consider it my Martha Money!

No comments: