Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mother's Eve

If there is Christmas Eve before Christmas Day, there might as well be Mother's Eve before Mother's Day. That gives us ladies an extra day of pampering and doing what we love to do but rarely get time.


Today I was lucky to do all kinds of things I liked -- running, sunning, rummage sale-ing and more.


This morning was the Jigsaw Run around Lake Wazeecha. The reason it's called the "Jigsaw" is because this is a benefit for Autism and Autism is such a puzzle. I think it can also be called the "Jigsaw" because the race trail winds and wends its way around the lake, back and forth and up and down. It's the up and down that killed me.


This is the third year of the event, which drew roughly 600 runners and walkers. This was my first time doing it since Carter usually had soccer in previous years. This was also my first 6K, which boils down to 3.7 miles. Not a big deal. But again, I cannot stress how unprepared I was for all the little but annoyingly painful hills.

The Desperate Housewives of Blue Jay Drive made another appearance. Cindy and Niki both ran it last year. I was hoping to finish in 40 minutes or less, but closer to 37 minutes -- since that would be my typical pace of 10-minute miles.


Here I am almost at the finish. It was a nice day for the run -- temp-wise. It was about 52 but very windy around the lake. I struggled at times, but right towards the end I sucked it up and finished strong, passing about 6 people in the last quarter mile! (That's why I'm smiling.)

I finished at 37:32 -- a little slower than 10-minute miles, but I was OK with that for my first effort. I see some hill training in my future if I am going to do races like this again. (Tomorrow I might feel differently.)

After the race, there was even more fun to be had.

Carter had some baseball scrimmages at the Kellner fields so I stopped there for a little while before venturing out to the Kellner-area garage sales. I think ended going to 9. Whoa. Did not realize that until I just counted that in my head. Only came away with a dozen books for me, two shirts for Carter and 3 PS2 games for him -- they were only $2 each so I splurged on him.

Got home in time to enjoy some sun time. It was higher than 60 and sunny so I caught a few rays in my lounge chair. The guys got home around 4 and ran up to Stevens Point -- something about a Mother's Day present...

Now they are likely going to go in the Man Cave next door and watch the Celtics. So am free to have the couch AND remote to myself. Think I'll pop in a total chick flick. Hmmm, Pretty Woman, Dirty Dancing, 27 Dresses, Mamma Mia... Good thing this is my most stressful decision on Mother's Day eve!

Next decision: Popcorn or ice cream?

I think I'll go with popcorn for supper and ice cream for dessert. (Mom's can break all the rules!)

No comments: