Saturday, May 14, 2011

Fresh Air

Remember when our kids were little and after playing outside all day, we'd say, "Oooh, all that fresh air! They're gonna sleep good tonight!"

That's me tonight, alright.

For the weather being about as crappy as possible, I managed to spend a good deal of time outdoors today.

Carter had his third and last Saturday session of "basketball camp" at the high school from 8:30-10 a.m. While the boys were gone, I did my Saturday morning chores of sweeping, dusting and vacuuming. When I saw the Weather Channel say it was going to be raining steady for most of the day (thankfully they were wrong), I figured I better get out for my long run of the week.

The plan is to do my normal 3-4 mile runs during the week but on Saturday or Sunday do one long run -- and that will progressively get longer each week during training. Today I did 6 miles. I've only done that one other time and that was a 10K race I did last fall. It didn't feel too bad. I stuck with my pace plan and all that and was pretty pleased with how it went. (Thank you, Lady Gaga and Gloria Gaynor for getting me through it!)

After I got home, I showered quick and met the guys over at the Kellner ball fields, where the Assumption girls softball team was hosting a tournament. Every once in awhile I need a testosterone break and need to watch "girly" stuff!

So I arrived just in time for the end of Assumption's first game. Since it was starting to drizzle, we decided to head home and return for the next game at 2 p.m. I used my time wisely and got grocery shopping done and some errands in town. It was too darn cold and windy to even stop at any garage sales. That's not right.

We went back for the afternoon game and bundled up under blankets to watch our girls kick some butt. After that, it was just too windy and cold to stay for a second game. That's not right either.

I think the combination of a little wind burn and the process of warming up to a toasty level just wiped me out. I could have gone to bed at 5 o'clock!

Now, I've spent 2 hours on the couch with no ambition and really, no reason I have to stay up late. I think we're all going to sleep good tonight. I just wonder who's going to carry me from the couch to my bed...

No comments: