Saturday, May 28, 2011

Helping Hands

We can't always measure our productivity by what we accomplish for ourselves. Sometimes it accumulates in what we do for others.

That's just my fancy way of saying we didn't do squat in our yard or house today, but we managed to lend a helping hand to a few others. So we don't feel too badly about it!

I got up before 8 -- not because I wanted to go running, but because the phone rang. Since I was up, I got dressed and did the longest run in my life -- 7 miles! And I lived to tell about it. Somehow you're going to get the false impression this is getting easy for me. It's not. But I'm always amazed I only need to walk when I am "scheduled" to and I don't run out of breath or cramp up in my legs or my side. I hope my slow progression of increased miles keeps that in check.

Got home from my run and Jim and Carter were already helping the neighbor across the street dig out some stumps from a handful of trees he recently cut down on purpose -- not from any storm damage. The guy next door was helping, too. When I later saw them carrying a ladder to fix a yard light for a guy down the street, I started to suspect this was going to be one of those guys' days where they keep finding projects to keep them out of the house and away from the women. It might have just been a coincidence -- but then I saw one guy changing the light bulb and 3 of them holding the ladder. I'm just sayin'...

I realize I still could have gotten started in our yard but after I showered, I didn't want to get dirty again. I had some errands to run and then we had a graduation party later. There's always tomorrow...

After the graduation party, we decided to drive around and tour some of the tornado damage from last Sunday. There are so many trees down! I kept thinking of my parents' yard after their tornado last year. It's just sickening.

Our tour ended up at an ice cream place. (Jim is learning!) So Carter and I were thrilled with that!

When we got home, some friends called and invited us over for supper and batting practice and a camp fire. What the heck, we might as well go there and ignore our yard some more!

I took my own car over there because I had to leave at 7 p.m. and head up to Stevens Point for a gathering with some very special friends. It was one of things where I set out to help someone else and, in the end, it ended up helping me. Funny how that works.

I like it.

Maybe we'll get to our weeds and planting tomorrow. If we don't, something tells me I'm not going to be that bothered by it. But if I see the guys walking around with that ladder again...

No comments: