Friday, January 20, 2012

Couch Potatoes

No school today. First semester wrapped up yesterday so while Mommy and Daddy were hard at work, Carter managed to get out of bed at 10 a.m. and make his way all the way out to the couch in the living room, where an anchor was apparently tied to his butt the rest of the day.

That's a day in the life of a teenager!

I have to admit I had quite a bit of couch time this week as well. But my couch was in someone's office. Oh yes, it is what you think!

I decided to take an aggressive approach to this anxiety business. My friend the psychologist set me up with one of her co-workers who helps patients recovering from trauma -- in all shapes and sizes. I met with her Monday and Wednesday and then yesterday we started a special "technique" this is not exactly hypnosis and not quite voodoo, but just as odd. To me anyway. I won't get into details now but if it works, and I think it will, I'll explain it all later.

I do have confidence it will work. Today already I was able to drive the car longer than 5 minutes without a freakout moment. In fact, I drove it 50 minutes! All the way to work in Iola!

Part of the success is due to hubby riding shotgun and engaging me in conversation for pretty much the whole drive. That was a good distraction. I wasn't completely relaxed or anything, but I was considerably less anxious and agitated. That is huge progress for me. He also helped me make it through a longer shopping list in Wal-Mart tonight. I didn't get too freaked until I had to wait for the cashier to ring me up. That's waaay better than just a few days ago.

Obviously, I was hoping I'd be "all cured" before hubby leaves on his work trip on Sunday, but I won't be. Another session on the infamous couch next week and I should be. But that won't be in time for me to be Miss Independent while Jim is gone. I do hope I can drive by myself to work Monday and Tuesday, but we'll see.

For now, I'll try not to think about it. I'll just be grateful for my progress and try to relax this weekend.

On my own couch.

No comments: