Sunday, January 8, 2012

Support System

I have learned through my many ups and downs in life that it is critical to have a good support system (and be a good one for others if they need it).

On this Virus roller coaster ride I'm on, today was a down day. I woke up with the right attitude. Thought I am just going to ride this out and it will be all over soon. But forgot about the patience part of it. It was not happening today. In fact, I gave it a good effort, had breakfast but then sent hubby off to church and I went back to bed for a few hours.

I decided in the early afternoon I should probably shower and get to the store since Mother Hubbard's cupboards are getting pretty bare. Since I wasn't in top shape, I had hubby drive. Carter came with because his backpack went out of commission this week -- which I'm sure had nothing to do with toting around 30-50 pounds of books every day.

Well I had good intentions. But I got about 50 feet inside Wal-Mart and said no way. Not gonna make it. So I had Carter walk me to the car and I handed over the grocery list to my support team.

Probably good I know Wal-Mart like the back of my hand and I write the list out from the back of the store to the front so they could get everything in an orderly fashion. I reminded them of that later twice but I did not get the "thanks, that helped" I was looking for. I guess because they were the ones actually doing me a favor.

Plus, they were a little bit crabby. Not sure what all transpired, but I know they don't like shopping and it did take us 3 stores (well, I sat in the car) to find a backpack at this time of year. Probably Carter shouldn't have said at that point, "Well I guess this will do for now" instead of "Thank you!"

Sigh.

I guess we can all do a little better in the gratitude department around here. I did make them a good chili supper before I go off to bed here in a few minutes. And I am grateful that even though today was a down day on the roller coaster, this ride isn't going to last forever.

At least I hope not. Good thing I have a great group of people riding with me. Listening to me scream. Holding my hand. Making sure I don't fall out.

Thanks.

No comments: