Saturday, January 21, 2012

What's Up, Doc?

I realize we are only 3 weeks into the New Year, but it seems like months have gone by since Christmas. Maybe because I have spent so much of that time seeing doctors. That can drag on.

As of today, I have now seen (in 2012) an ER doc, a regular doc, my "back" doc, a new "head" doc and my "lady" doc. No sense waiting too long to meet the insurance deductible for the year! Good grief!

This morning was a previously scheduled annual exam with "Dr. Fun." I don't mind this so much because my OB/GYN doctor makes us ladies quite at ease -- posting pictures of Brad Pitt, Harrison Ford and the like on the ceiling so we have something to distract us. Very nice. Of course, today I was the first appointment for him. Not good on a morning when the temps are 10 below zero or so and he walks in and says, "My hands might be a bit cold." Well, by all means, lay 'em on me! B-r-r. (I may schedule my 2013 appointment in the summer time.)

Glad I got the hard part of the day out of the way. The rest was easy.

Carter and I (as the Cricut operator) finished up his Science Fair poster while hubby grilled up brats for lunch. Oh, how I missed them! A great distraction from the chilly weather.

While those two went to the batting cage this afternoon, I whipped up some cookies, finally using up some of the those mini M&M's I just had to buy for Christmas. I also frosted the cookies with the Peppermint Frosting I never got around to using either. Yummy. We're not picky about what treats look like around here as long as they taste good!

Since the temp got up to 15 above or so, I went for a short walk -- just to get back out there! That was nice. After that, I went through some exercises on my "bouncy ball" (I don't know what it's called). These are part of a list my chiropractor gave me to strengthen my core (abs) and my back. I suspect they will work since my back was feeling it immediately.

When the guys got back, I drove (oh yes, I did) Carter to the library to get some books on the Mayflower for an upcoming research paper. When we got done there, he mentioned the 7th-grade boys were having a home hoops tournament. In one breath he asks if we can stop at the school to see if it's still going on and then mentioned some of the 8th-grade girls may be there to watch their younger brothers play. Might as well not even try to hide your motivation for going, Carter.

As it turned out, we got there before the last game of the day so we did get to see the Assumption 7th-graders play AND win the tournament. Carter sitting with his gal pals and me sitting with mine. I felt just fine in the gym so actually I enjoyed my first game of the year. This is great progress. I drove home, too. This is even greater progress!

We got home a little after 7. So I had time to cut Jim's hair before he leaves on a work trip to Florida tomorrow. He's all packed -- including his golf clubs -- and in bed since he leaves the house at 3:30 a.m. I should probably get to bed, too. Tomorrow might just signal my return to church.

Maybe.

No comments: