Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Prep School

It's Finals Week this week at Assumption and I am having flashbacks to my days as a student. I don't recall high school finals much but definitely remember pulling "all-nighters" for those college tests. Uff da. I could not handle that now!

Carter did not show any signs of stress or late nighters even. I probably wouldn't have known it was Finals Week by his study habits, just happened to see it on the Middle School newsletter. I guess we should have impressed upon him that Finals are a big deal and account for a good chunk of his grade so he better hope to ace them!

Too late now. He'll know for next time.

As an 8th-grader, he only has two high school level classes now anyway -- German I and Algebra I. So he's sort of easing into the Finals thing and getting prepped for next year. If all goes well this week and at the end of the school year, he'll have some high school credits on the books. That's very cool.

At this point, we're going to assume he does OK because next week is already 9th-grade orientation (help!) and the week after that is high school class registration (oh my!). Is this really happening?

I know you think the reason I can't believe my baby is almost a high-schooler is that he's still so cute and cuddly. That could be part of it. But mainly it's because he's almost in high school and yet we still have to tell him 5 times to take a shower each night (tonight was only 4) and remind him practically daily to brush his teeth and make his bed (that's fallen way off his priority list).

He actually did much better with those things when he was younger. We might have to revert to his old daily check-off list of things to do before school: Eat breakfast; brush teeth; feed kitty; make bed; turn down heat.

Of course, he'll probably add his own: Watch ESPN Sportscenter; charge iPod; check emails from girlfriends...

Yep, I'm having flashbacks to my days as a boy-crazy student and this doesn't bode well.

No comments: