Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Election Day

Every day is election day, isn't it? When we get up in the morning, we can elect to take a positive approach to the day... or a not-so-positive one.

Some days it seems the choice is made for us.

Today, for instance, I know a teenager who overslept and, even though he can only get out of bed on one side, it was the wrong one. Then, upon hearing that Kansas lost the NCAA final last night, Carter says, "Well now I can't provide food for the family with the money I DIDN'T win!" Who knew our future livelihood was riding on his bracket?! I didn't.

But his day wasn't going to get any better. When he sat on the couch to watch SportsCenter, he spilled his bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch all over himself, a blanket and the couch. As I tried to help clean it up, he grits his teeth and stammers out, "This is just my life!"

Oh, are we having a bad day?

Gosh, we might have a mess, but nothing like the thousands in Texas who lost their homes today in tornadoes.

Is life really that bad?

No. Despite getting 13 campaign phone calls in the past few days -- from everyone from Mitt Romney to Barbara Bush -- and despite having a near anxiety attack waiting in line 7 minutes to vote, I am thrilled to live in a free country where I have the right to do so. And did!

Just like our Democratic process can be a vehicle for change, our daily decisions can do that in our own lives. Sure, there's lots of days I get up on the "wrong" side of the bed and make a mess of things. But I do attempt to focus on the light side... the bright side ... and the right side.

However, I do vote left.

No comments: