Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Fleeting Thoughts...

Our Tuesday in brief...

Public Speaking: I've heard it said the No. 1 fear most people have is "public speaking." I believe it. Unless you are really comfortable and confident in what you're going to say, it takes a lot of guts to get up and say it. Even then, it takes no small amount of courage. Last week Carter had a school forensics competition. He needed a score of 94 to advance to regionals and he got a 97. He was pretty nervous about doing his "prose" today. This morning he says, "I should have screwed up on purpose the first time so I wouldn't have to do this again!" We'll find out tomorrow how he scored today. I'm sure he tried hard. Honestly, even if he's a bundle of nerves, I don't think an Austin man could turn off the charm if he wanted to.

Poor Sport: I've never had great love for Packers fans but I try not to be mean about it. I respect the fact that we all have passion for our favorite teams. Even if they're the wrong ones. Why do I bring this up now? Well I went to pick up my leftover garage sale items tonight. I am happy to report I had a lot less to take home than I brought -- plus some decent cash which will either go into my Wild Women's Weekend jar or some other worthy cause. My friend who ran the sale told the me the story of a guy (I won't call him a gentleman) and his wife looking through Carter's clothes to find something for their son. Now, Carter has had his share of Vikings clothes over the years and, when he outgrows them, I sell them at the garage sale. This guy says, "Who the heck has Vikings clothes for sale?!" He was so mad, he bought one of the shirts for 75 cents, proceeded to rip it up in front of my friend, gave it back to her and said something like, "Here, give this to the Vikings fan selling this." Pardon my Swede, but ... what an ass! The shirt was in great shape. Now I wish I would have charged 10 bucks for it! Ass.

Saturday Night Glee-ver: After getting my garage sale stuff, I did some chores around the house, took care of some laundry and made supper. I wanted a guilt-free hour watching Glee. Tonight's "theme" was disco -- primarily from the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack. So yes, Daddy and I knew every song. And yes, we sang along... and maybe even danced. But Jim would deny that. Honestly, he wasn't in the living room rolling his eyes the whole time. But Carter was. His butt was anchored to the couch for the entire show. And he wasn't forced, I swear. My only disappointment was not that he shielded his eyes when I got up and danced, but that he never got off the couch to join me. He needs to find his groove, man.

And I need to get Disco Inferno out of my head!  

Burn, baby, burn...

No comments: