Saturday, April 14, 2012

Saturday the 14th

I guess if Friday the 13th is considered unlucky, Saturday the 14th must be just the opposite.

And it was.

Had an early start heading out to help at the garage sale. I was appropriately bundled up in a turtle neck, sweatshirt and winter coat. Why yes, it DID get to 70-some degrees today. But it did take awhile! After a slow first hour, we didn't really have time to be cold, though. It was really busy. By the end of yesterday, I'd already sold the big items I'd put on the sale. So today and tomorrow are about accumulating quarters and dollars in books and Carter clothes. Hopefully, I'll get rid of stuff. With 13 families in on this, there is plenty of get rid of!

I worked the sale 'til 1 p.m., came home and changed and we headed into town. Carter was home from his overnight at his friend Tyler's house and then we ended up dropping him off there again so they could go golfing.

Hubby and I went to a fundraiser party for a scholarship organized by some dear friends of ours. So glad to see a nice big crowd there. We had a great time. I put my name in several raffle baskets -- a lot in the scrapbooking one and designer purse one, and yes, even one ticket in the Packer basket. (I have sisters with birthdays coming up). When I had one ticket left to put in, I saw one basket that had the movie The Help and some mint chocolate Bliss candy. So I put the ticket in there.

One little ticket and guess who won that basket? Lucky me!

Later, I put in 9 tickets in a golf package raffle. They drew someone else's number and that person either lost their ticket or left. So they had to draw again. I turned to the guy next to me and said, "I'm gonna get this. I firmly believe in second chances." Guess whose number they called? MINE! Whoo-hoo! Four rounds of golf at The Ridges, plus some food and pizza gift certificates, golf balls, Budweiser gear and hair products (that are valued at $70 themselves)! Lucky me!

Guess who was not so lucky?

Carter got dropped off at home after golfing. The house was locked. Guess who didn't have a key?

We were still at the party so when we did connect with him via someone else's phone, we told him to hang out with the neighbors'. Good thing it was a nice warm dry day!

Since we knew he was in no danger of suffering (too much) we stopped with a bunch of people at the saloon down the road from the party, where of course, we saw even more people we know. Visited there a bit, but the guilt of our latch-key kid overcame us (me anyway) so we didn't stay long.

As designated driver, that was my first trip driving all the way through Rapids in 2012. That's 11 stoplights for those of you counting at home. No anxiety sitting at red lights this time. Felt pretty good.

In fact, felt darn lucky.

No comments: