Monday, April 16, 2012

Tentative Schedule

I have been trying to keep better tabs on our family's "master schedule" this year by actually using the little planner I carry in my purse. Most years it just sits there taking up valuable space, adding weight to my handbag and only occasionally being opened to check on an important date.

This year, my little Assumption Music Calendar has come in quite handy with all my doctor's appointments, Carter's sports events and hubby's work trips.

Last week, I decided to put Carter's spring baseball schedule in there. As I am writing on the way home, hubby says, "I have never seen anyone write in a spring sports schedule in ink!" As a former sports editor, he's well aware of the multitude of potential changes based on rain, sleet, cold and sometimes snow. But since I didn't have a pencil in my purse, I just went with a pen and kept my fingers crossed.

That didn't do much good.

I know family in Minnesota who woke up to snow this morning. We just had those strong winds continuing all day, keeping the temperature down in the 40s. Not an ideal day to spend outside.

We got an email by mid-morning that Carter's baseball practice for tonight was canceled and tomorrow's first game of the season is postponed to May. Already? Do I even "pencil in" that new date yet or just wait until yet another version of the "official" schedule comes out?

I also committed the same blunder with our kitchen wall calendar. Since there are 22 kids split up into 3 teams (1 & 2 play together one game then 2 & 3 the next, then 3 & 1, and keep rotating), I even color coded the schedule on that calendar with pretty markers to indicate games Carter will play. What a colorful mess this is going to be by the end of the season!

Figures. The one time I don't listen to hubby, he's right.

No comments: