Thursday, October 17, 2013

Conference Kudos



I should have known. A new set of spikes on the cross country shoes can't hold a candle to the presence of six to eight sophomore girls when it comes to motivating a runner to go faster.

That's what happened for tonight's conference meet in Pittsville. The guys were pretty psyched, hoping to end the regular season with a new personal best.

And they did.

I could tell by the temperatures around 50 degrees or so that it was going to be an ideal running day. Not too much of a wind, either. And the sun was trying to break out. At least it wasn't raining.

Throughout the race, Carter looked pretty good and not too winded. Coming down the home stretch, I kept my eyes on his time. Prior to today's run, his PR was something like 20:30. Watching his approach to the Finish Line and seeing the official clock at under 18 minutes, I screamed for him to kick it in the end.

And he did. Finishing just under 19 minutes -- unofficially.

All the Assumption boys had PR times! So amazing! And we had two freshman make the all-conference honorable mention team.


I still think those new spikes helped. But to hear your homecoming "date" and a lot of her friends encouraging you to go faster, I imagine that certainly cheered them all on and kicked in some major energy pheromones.

Whatever works, I say. Whatever works.

Now, if only we could repeat this next Friday at Sectionals in Athens!



No comments: