Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Needle in a Haystack

I wasn't going for the Mother of the Year Award when I offered to run a favor for Carter. I was just trying to be helpful.

Next time, maybe I'll know better. Maybe.

With the big sectional cross country meet approaching Thursday, he mentioned Monday that he needed some new spikes for his running shoes. (In case you are learning in CC 101 like me - cross country (CC) runners wear shoes that have little needle-like spikes in them to help them gain traction on the typically grassy and hilly terrain on race courses.)

At this point in the season, his spikes are a little worn down and he wanted replacements. Since I drive through Stevens Point on my way to and from work, I offered to stop at the "sports store" there and get them. He even gave me a sample spike to show them.

I stopped yesterday after work. The sales associate held up the spike to the containers of new ones and said they did not have that size -- the 1/4 inch -- left. She did suggest another store that I had planned to stop at today.

Plans changed.

I ended up taking the afternoon off to buzz over to the Fox Valley area to visit a friend in the hospital in Neenah. On my way home, I stopped at the Appleton mall where they have the biggest sports store in the area. Stopped in there and they had 1/4-inch spikes -- but in the Pyramid style, not the Needle style. (Are you keeping up in class, my CC students?)

They suggested I check the other sports and sport shoe stores in the mall. Stores no. 2, 3 and 4, did not have anything. So my 5th stop was back at the original store and I bought the Pyramid ones because I figured that was better than nothing. And really, I would only be out $4.99 if they were absolutely wrong. (Which, of course, they were!)

There was one other store in town that I had to find and check out. Found it, marking my 6th stop, and they had a few sizes of spikes, but not the Needle variety for 1/4. They had them for 1/8 and 3/8 but not 1/4. So I texted Jim and Carter and gave them the update. I was just about out of town when Carter replies, "That's OK, I needed the 3/8 anyway."

Are you kidding me? 3/8 not 1/4? I was looking for the wrong size -- based on the sales lady's statement and the fact Carter never corrected me when I said I would get his quarter-inch spikes. And here I just left the store that had them!!

This time, since I had now escalated my hopes to a nomination for Mother of the Year, I did turn around and went back to that last store, now my 7th stop of the afternoon. But thankfully, my last.

Now he has his correctly sized and shaped spikes for tomorrow's sectional showdown. All I can say is, he better set a new PR! (Remember, class, that's his Personal Record for finishing time.)

No pressure, though, since Mothers of the Year are always supportive no matter what. Right?


No comments: