Thursday, October 31, 2013

Hollow-ween

If there is an Ebenezer Scrooge for Halloween, I must be it.

Been so busy with my own stuff, I neglected to buy a pumpkin to carve and did not set out any decorations -- inside or out. We did not have a dress-up day for work today either. And while I did buy some treats to hand out this evening, we had zero trick-or-treaters stop by.

Bah-humbug.

Even the weather seemed like a perfectly dreary setting for the holiday. It drizzled all day. There was a dense fog advisory this morning so I waited until 7 a.m. to leave the house, hoping for a little daylight. Trust me, the 20-minute delay is significant. It was a bit lighter out AND I had time to really curl my hair!

The unfortunate part about leaving later is I had to stop for a train at a place where I've only had to stop maybe 2 times in all the years we've been commuting. We're usually early enough to miss it. Needless to say, watching the train go by in the fog and having woods on each side of you is a bit freaky on Halloween. Thanks to that new TV show Sleep Hollow, I envisioned the Headless Horseman galloping out of the woods at any moment.

Thank goodness I had my smart phone to keep me occupied. (Don't worry, the car was in Park.)

I did try to dress for the occasion today with my one Halloween t-shirt that reads "The Witch is In" -- and my WICKED zipper fleece I just HAD to have when I saw the musical. I'm wicked and witchy. Sounds Halloweeny to me.

After seeing photos online of kids in their costumes and all the creative pumpkins, I felt a bit empty, though. Is Carter getting too old for Halloween or is it just me? To cheer myself up, I took a picture of a picture (ha) I keep on my desk at work. It always brings a smile.

How can you not smile, right? This was when Carter was a helpless 6-month-old and had no control over his costume. For the record, he never once tried to take off the wig or anything. He was just a charming clown.

Maybe someday he'll forgive me for dressing him like that, but he probably won't give me any leniency about posting this in my blog! Oh well, it cheered me up on this hollow holiday.

That and this bag of leftover treats no one bothered to claim.

Happy Halloween!


No comments: