Sunday, October 6, 2013

Dynamic Duo

Any plans of being productive today flew out the window by the time I rolled out of bed with my post-Homecoming headache (from being tired!) and plans to have some adult fun of our own today. So while we left Carter at home to do homework, hubby and I spent the day away with friends.


The first stop was Bowlmor Lanes, where the Austins and my girlfriends Christine and Jenny (above) and their husbands participated in a Scotch Doubles Bowling Competition.

Notice I said "participated." We bowl once or twice a year at most. So while this was an actual competition, we did it more to socialize and have fun -- and give all the other couples there the chances they deserved to win.

The format in Doubles is that for two of the four games, I bowl first and Jim has to pick up my spare if needed. Oh, it was needed alright. I had one or two strikes all day. That was it. Then the other two games, he'd go first and I'd have to TRY to pick up the spare. I got plenty of bench time, which suited me fine. We didn't win any competitions but we did win a 50/50 pot to cover entry expenses.

So why did I call this blog entry "Dynamic Duo"? Well, it had nothing to do with the Mr. & Mrs. Austin team. It has to do with combining bowling with, you guessed it, pizza! When that means Portesi's pizza in Rapids, then it is a Dynamic Duo!

First time eating there if you can believe it, and it ranks right up there as the local favorite. Crispy thin crust and perfectly spicy sauce. Yum. Had a hard time leaving enough on the platter to box up for Carter. Needless to say, he enjoyed the leftovers, but they weren't enough!

Maybe next time when we aren't selfishly spending a day to ourselves (after a week of someone ELSE's homecoming activities), we'll bring more home.

Maybe.

I can guarantee we'll have a better chance of that happening than bringing home any bowling trophies!


No comments: