Saturday, June 28, 2014

I Scream, You Scream....

Got the perfect birthday card from my sister Romey. Has a picture of ice cream on the front and says: I scream, you scream, we all scream... because we are getting older!

We sure are! But ice cream (on a card AND in person) makes it easier to swallow.

Not complaining a bit. Had a wonderful birthday. Did not get to spend it with my twin but was surrounded by loved ones – another sister, her hubby and my guys. Wonderful.

After our complimentary breakfast at the hotel, we met up with Rayna and Paul and headed up to Grandad's Bluff – that tourist hotspot we La Crosse people (or former La Crosse people) have to show visitors. Plus, I needed to prove that I am not OVER the hill, just on TOP of it!



Just a bit on the windy side! So glad I bothered curling my hair!

My OLD-est sister and me with a cloudy view of the city behind us. We somehow lucked out and did not get rained on all day!

My campus – UW-La Crosse! Now that WAS forever ago!


More bluffs – maybe a grandson of Grandad?


Onto baseball... Carter had two games scheduled today. Since they were concerned about the weather early on, they got them going a bit early. Got skunked in the first one against Osseo.



Carter tries to lay down a bunt here.

 Ended up getting on with a walk during this at bat.


Have you seen a baseball field with grass for the first and third base lines? Weird. Here Carter is at third and ready to score our first run of the tournament. Yup. That came in the third of three games. It broke the seal on the skunked can, though, and we scored four more that inning.

Was an exciting game versus Sparta. Thanks to that 5-run inning, we had the lead.

They eventually got the lead back and were ahead 8-5 going into the last inning.

We tried valiantly to rally. Got two runs and ended up losing 8-7. Bummer. My sister got some nice photos of Carter in action. She has a much nicer camera than me. Here you go (photos courtesy Rayna Delaney)...


Since we didn't win any games, we headed home and will not be playing Sunday. It was a nice day at the ballpark, though. Quite breezy, which kept the temperature reasonable and the gnats away. Still got fried on my thighs and feet, which haven't seen much sun this summer. Ouch.

On our way north from La Crosse to Rapids, I rode with Rayna and Paul rode with they guys. We stopped for dinner at The Lure Bar & Grill on Lake Petenwell (that tourist hotspot the Austins tend to take summertime guests). Why? Cool view and good food. And now, a new outside eating area mimicking Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville.







Pretty sure this is my "Is it time for ice cream yet?" look. And in fact, it was just about that time.

On the way home from The Lure, I rode with Rayna and we found the ice cream place. The guys missed the turn and ended up going straight home. Maybe we should have been the lead vehicle. I may be getting old and forgetful, but I will always find ice cream.

Plus, I was feeling lucky...


I found not one, but TWO four-leaf clovers today near the bleachers. It didn't help the baseball team, but I will send one to my twin and hopefully that will give us both some luck for the coming year.

Hard to get any better than a day with loved ones, sunshine and ice cream.



No comments: