Thursday, June 12, 2014

Wild West :: The Final Frontier

We were on the road just after 7 a.m., heading east to our own homes on the range...


Crossing into Minnesota, I thought, as much as I love the state, it was sad to see my Wild West Adventure in the rear view mirror.

First and foremost was seeing our nephew and his amazing family. He's all grown up now and doing so well. What fun to see him and his T gang!

Speaking of family, what a treat to enjoy this adventure with my mom and two of my many sisters. We sort of took turns being the wild women of the wild west and the whining women of the wild west. Overall we were mostly wild, though. I mean wonderful!

And then there's the scenery. Wow so many things to see, photograph, learn about and appreciate in my 1,500-mile round trip. I will share some imagery soon, I promise.

Today was designed to be our final travel day, going from Sioux Falls, S.D., to the Twin Cities first to drop me off at my car where my brother babysat it for me, then the other three would soldier on up to Mom's.

We weren't planning to do any sightseeing, but I had one more thing on my Super Tourist list...


Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant! If you are ever near Blue Earth, Minn., stop in to see this jolly 55-foot-high man! How funky is that?

If you are of the age you remember the commercials, you, too, would get a kick out off this. Not quite as "corny" as the Palace, but not your garden variety tourist destination either. (OK, I'll quit while I'm a head.)

After saying goodbyes in the cities, the ladies headed north and I east. I was quite relieved when I crossed the border into Wisconsin that it still welcomed this wild woman back. Apparently the long arm of the law can only reach so far. Plus we did not take anymore barn photos except traveling down the road.

When I was almost home in the late afternoon, I remembered one more stop for the Super Tourist in me...
Now granted, we have been to Pittsville often -- mainly for sports events (or just passing through), but like just about every other community out there, it has something to brag about. Whether a sign or a tacky monument – or a tasteful one – there is so much out there.

Who knows where I'll venture next. I'm pretty sure "My Own Bed" is on the short list anyway!

What's on yours?


No comments: