Thursday, June 19, 2014

This is my Father's World :: Part 3

This is my Father's world:
he shines in all that's fair;
in the rustling grass I hear him pass;
he speaks to me everywhere.


What do you know about Mount Rushmore? Originally known to the Lakota Sioux as Six Grandfathers, the mountain was renamed after Charles E. Rushmore, a prominent New York lawyer, during an expedition in 1885.

At first, the project of carving Rushmore was undertaken to increase tourism in the Black Hills region of South Dakota. After long negotiations involving a Congressional delegation and President Calvin Coolidge, the project received Congressional approval. The carving started in 1927, and ended in 1941 with no fatalities. (That's amazing, isn't it?)

Sculpted by Danish-American Gutzon Borglum and his son, Lincoln Borglum, Mount Rushmore features 60-foot sculptures of the heads of four United States presidents: George Washington (1732–1799), Thomas Jefferson (1743–1826), Theodore Roosevelt (1858–1919), and Abraham Lincoln (1809–1865).

The entire memorial covers 1,278.45 acres – and I think I hiked them all to share with you Mount Rushmore at all angles!


Rayna is ready to shoot!

Four Great Faces. Ha.




Typical "postcard" view!


I feel short. Again.







A rock can grow a plant but I can't??

At least it doesn't mention snakes!

Final view: Washington profile.


Stay tuned tomorrow for the dangerous but beautiful Needles Highway – a naturally scary part of my Father's World!


No comments: