Monday, June 9, 2014

Wild West :: Part Three

The Western weather gods were making up for our soggy Sunday. And we thank them for it.

On a day of touring national monuments and driving through unique scenic roadways, it was such a treat to have postcard picture perfect cloudless skies! Thank you!

First on the map was Mount Rushmore. This really should be on everybody's Bucket List. I was like a kid at Christmas. As soon as it came into view on our drive there, I was so excited!


Our four great faces with the "official" great faces of South Dakota!

There are several angles of the four presidents that a tourist can see. Mom and Rachel stayed near the visitors center while Rayna and I took our cameras and hit the trail. I have no clue how many dozens of photos I took, but it was just a breathtaking sight from all angles.Just amazing


It was a lot of walking and plenty of steps. Felt fine going down, but what goes down must go up! May feel that in my calves tomorrow! Couldn't complain with how beautiful a day it was.

After Mount Rushmore, it was south to the Crazy Horse Monument. My mother said it didn't look like much different from when she and Dad saw it 20 years ago. But after watching the video explaining the story behind it and seeing just how far they have come, it was pretty impressive. And, though, I doubt it will be finished in my lifetime, will be quite impressive when it is finished.



The 1/34th scale model of the finished monument.See what I mean about the timeline for the finished project?

From Crazy Horse, we took the Crazy Course -- otherwise known as Needle highway. Just a twisty, windy, scary narrow driving course through the Black Hills and Custer Park. We had some scary one-lane tunnels where you prayed you wouldn't meet an oncoming vehicle. Took some neat photos I will share soon.


Eye of the needle along the Needle Highway.



Just lots of unique landscape. Very cool. And, well, majestic.

Got back to Rapid City a little after 5 p.m. and joined Tim and family for supper at Sanford's -- a great set-up like the Sanford & Sons junkyard on TV. Great decor and great food. The boys were entertaining as always, too!

Came back to hotel to chill out and try to upload photos. Just not gonna work how I want this trip. Hope you can enjoy your ride with me without them!


No comments: