Tuesday, June 17, 2014

This is My Father's World

This is my Father's world,
and to my listening ears
all nature sings, and round me rings
the music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world:
I rest me in the thought
of rocks and trees, of skies and seas;
his hand the wonders wrought.

The next several nights, I am going to do you a favor and treat you to more photos from my Wild West trip. Since my camera-to-computer connection cords were left at home, you only caught a minor glimpse of my Father's World.

I had planned to do this sooner rather than later, but suddenly the timing is just right. I am expectedly unexpectedly going Up North to the homestead. How can it be both expected and not?

Well, we knew after Dad's death that the day would come when we would have to "gut" Dad and Mom's home – with brooms, rakes, garbage bags, Dumpsters, you name it. We've known all along this will take some extreme measures and manpower. We've known all along it had to be done if Mom were to either continue to live their safely or have the downsized ability to move to an apartment.

We knew it, but I was still surprised today that it is time!

Got an email from my oldest sister Rayna who is staying with mom a bit between road trips. A Dumpster will be delivered to Mom's tomorrow and beg to be filled until July 2. It's time to roll up our sleeves and tackle what I consider a cross between American Pickers and Hoarders. I know there will be a few old treasures but most of it will end up in the large receptacle outside.

Lucky for me (is it lucky?) we have a bye week with our main publication at work so getting out of the office this week will not be a problem. I will pack tonight, leave town tomorrow after work and put in a good 48 hours of hard labor at Mom's before returning to town Saturday.

Not sure when all the siblings will do their time, but we'll do what we can when we can, I guess.

I don't want you to think about me shoveling old moth-eaten clothes into garbage bags or trying to salvage items among dust bunnies and bat poop. So I will share nice vacation images and get you through your days. Trust me, you prefer this!

To start off, a few of the gorgeous St. Joseph's Cathedral in Sioux Fall, S.D. It sits on a hill and can be seen from just about anywhere in the city!





Children's garden.

The parsonage. I could live there, couldn't you??

More to come tomorrow! Wish me luck and enjoy my time away!


No comments: