Sunday, June 8, 2014

Wild West :: Part Two

Under a constant cloud cover and mostly steady rain, we traversed the state of South Dakota today. Not a great backdrop for sight-seeing, but we made the most of it...


They say "Virginia is for Lovers." I believe South Dakota is for Lead-Foot Lovers! You can take the scenic route at warp speed, but we opted to make a few stops to slow it down to "vacation time."


Even though we knew it was unlikely we could see much of the Missouri River Reservoir, we stopped at a lookout. And by lookout, I mean "Look out! There are snakes!" This really is the Wild West.

My sister Rayna and I put photography before common sense, as usual, and ventured down the path -- she insisting the snakes wouldn't be out in the rain, and me insisting that a snapshot of her off the paved path would be her "obituary photo."

As usual, we can say, we both survived so it was worth it. Except the photos will be crap due to the rain! They had an interesting interpretive center there about Lewis and Clark, though.

Up the road, in case you missed the 346 billboards for the last 800 miles, was Wall and its infamous Wall Drug. We had eaten lunch at least an hour or so before -- a meal where we laughed 'til we cried and hoped we wouldn't die from choking as a result. I figured it was time for ice cream at Wall Drug. Just to say I've been there, of course.


There I learned Rule #3 when vacationing with your mother: If Mama says you can talk to strange men -- even cowboys -- you can!


"Hey there, cowboy! Can you teach me how to shoot a snake?"

After Wall, it was onward to our most important destination: Rapid City and my nephew Tim's house. So great to see him and Tawnie and their boys, my great-nephews Tyler, Tyson and Trey!


Tyler will be 5 in September. He showed me his Skylander action figures and videogame. I think that's what it's called. Something new to learn about! He is a dimpled charmer.


Tyson absolutely loves Toy Story and pals around with Woody and Buzz Lightyear. He's so sweet and funny.


Meet 6-month-old Trey. I just did today for the first time, too! What a snuggle bug! Just a perfectly adorable, happy baby. Can I take him home??


For supper tonight we all went out to eat at Quaker Steak and Lube, a diner decorated like an auto shop. Very cool stuff. I took a lot of photos and sent them to Carter. I am pretty sure he was actually jealous of the Corvette hanging from the ceiling above our table AND all the license plates. Some time maybe he and hubby will join me. No room this time, though, and they both have a busy week between work and baseball.

Since I have been away from home since Friday, I forget it's Sunday. So many miles covered! We also changed time zones here so I am feeling the effects of our normal time zone, where it is late. Again.

We checked into our Best WEST-ern home for the next 3 nights and, after checking under the beds for poisonous snakes (just kidding), we're hitting the hay!




No comments: