Saturday, June 21, 2014

The Longest Day (or One of Them)


Said goodbye to spring last night at my mom's with this beautiful view. And while today is considered "the longest day" of the year, a few others (this week even) feel close to it – though I did cover a lot of ground today.

(I will spare you the downsizing details for now.)

I awoke to the smell of sausage and pancakes frying. My mom and one of my sisters were making breakfast while two of us were just rolling out of bed (aka hide-a-bed couch). Then another sister arrived in time to join in so mom could start her summer with half her children present. Very nice.

Carter had a ball tournament in Vesper – our home tournament – so I had to eat and run. A 3 1/2-hour drive, but glad I got there in time to watch. They ended up going undefeated and winning the 16-year-olds' tournament! Very, very nice!
 


As it happened, we had a wedding reception to get to after the games and it was near Vesper, about 5 minutes from the park. So Carter drove his car home and hubby and I went to the party. We were schedule to work concessions from 6-8 p.m., so basically, I dropped Jim off and stopped in just long enough to say "where's the cake?" Had to eat and run again!

Worked concessions and since Jim was at the party, I had to accept the winning 50-50 raffle jackpot on his behalf! $104.50. The guy who handed me the envelope said he would text Jim and tell him he won $25. That way I could keep the balance as a handling fee.

Tempting.

Don't worry, I was honest with him about his $50 pot.

Kidding. He has all of it. I swear.

After my shift was done, I went back to the party and we stayed awhile longer visiting. Hit the road before dark so we could stop on the way home and I could pick up some ingredients to make a treat for a potluck tomorrow. I am physically and mentally exhausted from the past few days so I was relieved we were getting home by 10 p.m.

No offense to my sister who shared Mom's couch with me the past three nights, but it is soooo good to be home and in my own bed. Especially after a pretty long day!

Again.




No comments: