Friday, June 27, 2014

Mature Audience

The last time I spent a birthday in La Crosse I was in college and turning 21. Fast forward a few years and it couldn't be more different.

Granted, I was in summer school back in 1989 and had a final the next day so I couldn't really party that night, but I made up for it the rest of the weekend -- and summer, I'm sure.

This time around, there are still some boys involved -- if you can count 15- and 16-year-olds in cleats -- but I have definitely become a member of that "mature audience" we've been warned about. I want to defend myself and say the "mature" part purely reflects my age, not my attitude. But here I am in the hotel room, ready to call it a night at 9:30 without a single thought of going downtown.

Holy cow. What happened??

Something good, I guess.


It's actually "Carter's weekend" to be here. I'm just along for the ride. But it's still kind of cool for me to spend my birthday tomorrow in one of my favorite cities.

His first game was at 5:30 today so we left home by 2:30, checked into the hotel and went to the ballpark on the south side of the La Crosse. We lost by a lot to the host team. Carter didn't bat well but had some great defensive plays.

All of us were battling the pesky gnats!

Will have to find some spray that actually works before game time at noon Saturday.

The initial plan was that my Texas sister Rayna (who has been Up North a month now) was going to pick up her hubby at the Minneapolis airport and meet us in La Crosse to stay. Flight got delayed or something so they will still get here tonight, but not until midnight. We will have tomorrow together then we'll drive back to Rapids and they'll stay at our house overnight.

What a special birthday it will be - in La Crosse and celebrating with my boy plus 3 members of that mature audience. I'm sure I can learn a thing or two. Perhaps even more than in college!

Ha. We'll see.


No comments: