Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Back to the Books?

When I was a child, one of my favorite summertime activities was the Summer Reading Program.

On a certain day each week, a "book-mobile" of sorts would stop by the church and we could check out one, two or as many books as we desired to read until the next week. The organizers kept track of our progress on one of those charts where you'd earn a little star sticker for each book read.

Oh how I loved to get my "new" books each week. And oh how I loved to see all those stars after my name. Yup, a little bit competitive even at a young age.

As a teen, my summer time was divided between work (weeding and mowing), play (slathering myself with baby oil and sunbathing) and escape (reading). Didn't need a book club then, but I did take advantage of a book-by-mail program where they actually mailed books from the county library some 20 miles away. I don't think they even charged us. Wow. Times change.

Not my love for reading, though.

Carter, on the other hand, is my complete opposite. The image above may look like a boy enjoying reading, but my mind sees a book dragging a reluctant boy along, hoping to hook him into the story.

During the school year, he absolutely hates reading. During summer vacation, why would he even give it a thought?

Well, it turns out he should have much sooner than now, one month before school starts. Pretty sure he's known all summer he has to read Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath (nearly 600 pages "in small print, Mom!") for English class and 1776 by David McCullough (just shy of 400 pages) for history. Now, instead of reading at his leisure, it is stressful crunch time. Could it get any worse for Mr. Procrastinator?

Why yes.

Today an email from the English teacher announced another book has to be read by the start of school, The Last of the Mohicans. While I personally think that is kind of late notice, I really do hope Carter reads that one and enjoys it. It was one of my favorites.

That one, I might just have to add to my own Summer Reading List. The question is: If I finish it before school starts, do I get a gold star??



No comments: