Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Can You Hear Me Now?

A few years ago, Verizon had an annoying (but memorable) cell phone commercial illustrating their vast coverage by having the caller ask: "Can you hear me now?" And always, no matter the location, the person on the other line could.

In my experience, no matter who my cell carrier is, I have had occasional experiences with little or no signal. It is quite frustrating, but not as frustrating than the call I just had land line-to-land line with my mother. The problem might be this...


Yes, a phone just like this lovely 1970s example still hangs on the wall in her dining room. And that has been the phone of use since I was in single digits!

I know "vintage" and "retro" can be stylish, but her phone has a cracked mouthpiece and their phone line in general was struck by lightning a few years ago.

As we continue to de-clutter the homestead the next few weekends, I am sure we will hit the cordless phone jackpot. I am sure several of us kids gave Mom and Dad sets over the years for birthdays and Christmas. They never used them. Probably didn't open them.

Well, once they opened them because my mother said the calls" just don't sound as clear" as their rotary phone. Never mind they have to drive into town to a payphone (yes, those also exist Up North) to make calls requiring a "push-button" telly.

Frankly, she can do what she wants and what she feels comfortable with, but 4 out of 5 times we talk, I can't hear her at all. Or just barely. So I call her back and try again. Tonight I did that 3 times. Finally, I basically yelled my message and said I'd talk more when I see her Friday.

Wouldn't you know it. When I hung up there was a voicemail. She had called me back one of the times I was trying to reconnect. Her message was loud and clear.

So outgoing calls from the old talk-box work but incoming calls don't. Hmm... I guess since she doesn't have caller I.D. that's one way of screening her calls. "Sorry, I can't hear you. Bye."

I won't take it personally unless I hear from my siblings that I am the only one with this problem. Then I guess the message IS loud and clear. Ha.

Can you hear me NOW?


No comments: