Monday, July 7, 2014

Word of the Day: Ominous

ominous: giving the impression that something bad or unpleasant is going to happen; threatening; inauspicious.


 
For some reason, I remember learning the word "ominous" in high school English. It was made easy by the sample sentence: "There were ominous dark clouds gathering overhead."

Obviously, looking at the sky from my stop at the gas station on the way home tonight, you'll see why that word often comes to mind during the summer. Very strange (with the white, puffy layer beneath the storm clouds) and ominous, wouldn't you say?

Today though, I am also feeling stress from the ominous car show coming this week.

Not that it was all fun and games in the past – despite entertaining photos – but this year the person in charge of our activities there left the company for less ominous pastures. So three of us old car editor types are learning event-management at warp speed and I, for one, am making list after list so we don't forget anything from the volunteer schedule, signage and book displays down to the plastic checkout bags and entry slips for our giveaway.

There are a lot of stinkin' details.

The concept is ominous! And I do not use that word lightly!

Thankfully, I had a nice weekend getaway leading up to this week. And thankfully, hubby got me an hour massage certificate for my birthday. I will be using that a week from today if I can swing it!!!

As usual, I am just over-preparing for the worst. I mean those ominous clouds this evening dropped a little rain and that was it. Now they've moved on for the moment.

I suppose we need moments / days / weeks like these to test our survival skills, our faith in God and in ourselves. I suppose...


No comments: