Monday, July 28, 2014

Devils Tower Tour

If you've ever flown to Las Vegas, you know the approach to the runway is unique. Here you are flying across a flat desert when suddenly a city pops up like one of those 3-D children's books.

That's how Devil's Tower is in Wyoming.

I heard the song Devil Woman on the radio today and it triggered a reminder that I never did share my Devils Tower photos from my Dakota vacation. So here is your personal tour of the Tower, America's first National Landmark.

Coming into the area, it was like turning a corner on the Wyoming highway and boom, there it is, looming in the distance.
It is hard to grasp that it has taken millions of years to erode the surface to create what it is now. I wonder what it first looked like?

As you get closer, you realize why you can see if from miles and miles away. It's huge!

As with most of the landmarks we visited, we are reminded why they are "landmarks." They have special, sacred meaning to the Native Americans.

My sister Rachel and I decided to venture around the tower. It was only 1.5 miles but took over an hour since we stopped to take photos at every angle. And, if you were looking up, you had to stop because you really had to look down – and watch your step – while walking.
Seeing those full-grown trees up there at the base gives you an idea of its size.

Ruffles have ridges... and so does Devils Tower. I do not understand the process of erosion that creates these vertical lines. So cool. Reminds me of Planet Krypton in Superman movies.

How is it trees can grow out of rocks but I can't grow anything out of soil?!
Interesting how some of the rocks start curving at the bottom.

Met up with a couple from Australia who took our photo. At this angle, you might think the tower is only twice our height (or 10-feet tall. ha).
Sometimes we were so close to it, we couldn't see the top.
It's like the erosion makes up half the height. I was a little concerned rocks could fall off the sides at any moment. But surprisingly, there were no such warning signs on the path.

Fascinated by the curvature and color variants.


Final salute to the National Monument!






Oh wait, I forgot to mention the aliens!! OK, now you know why it's a little bit famous. Whether you saw the 1977 movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" or not (I didn't), the merchants in the area are quick to remind you. And try to sell you some outer-space trinket. I didn't buy anything but may have to rent the movie – now that my tower tour is over and I won't freak out having a close encounter with it!



No comments: