Sunday, July 27, 2014

Hot Time in the Old Town

I don't intentionally pick the hottest days of the summer to do physical labor, but I just get lucky and it happens that way! That's OK. Our hot time on Saturday was sandwiched between two cool and breezy days.

And, more importantly, it was a productive R2-D2 weekend with even a little fun involved.

This weekend's downsizing efforts were focused on the basement at Mom and Dad's. I got there early enough Friday to put in a few hours of hard labor with my sister Rachel. Saturday morning brought four more sisters! (And a bonus niece and brother-in-law.)

A lot of hot, sweaty sifting and lifting. But some amusement, too.

Stumbled on a cache of self-help and motivational books. Look out world, I'm going to be a "1970s" assertive woman!

Who wouldn't love reading about how not to fake it and being an adventurous wife? Hey, when you are doing dirty work, you get a dirty mind!

When we took a break for lunch, I got to surprise my sisters Romey and Raylene with Packer tickets I won. It was hard to keep a secret because I was so excited about it! I earned my "chances" by working all those car show shifts. I really wanted to win so my twin, especially, could go since she has been having quite a challenging year. My sister Romey gets to go since she is now in the Sisters Over Sixty Club and needs to get a move on with her Bucket List items. They were excited and their husbands are, too.

(Please note for the record: Viking fans are nice!!)

We declared quittin' time at 5 p.m. so we could go to the county fair and enjoy a deep-fried supper of some sort. I know, after standing, squatting and lifting for 7-8 hours, who wants to walk around the fair in the heat??

The answer is: "I do! Because there are mini donuts there!"

After cheeseburgers and cheese curds, we wandered over to the barns, where I discovered I could finally call myself a "hot chick." We also located our cousin's daughter and her cow she was showing (for 4-H) and selling. Got to visit for a bit.

Then we actually walked in other barns. I am not a farm girl, but the llamas were calling me. This guy was getting fresh with me and trying to blow in my ear. Startin' some llama drama! At least he didn't spit, as I am told they do if they don't want you by them. He liked me!

After our entertainment and some deep-fried mini donuts on the way out, we headed back to Mom's. We saw a bunch of wicked clouds gathering around the sunset-orange ones. But we did not get a drop of rain. Elsewhere, not far from Mom's they got hail. They also got hail at home in Rapids. No damage at our house but others had car damage and more.

My sister Renell and I kept taking pictures of the clouds. Just forming so weird that they were pretty. We could see lightning in them later, but had no success capturing that on camera. We both tried, though!

Didn't get rain during the night but when my mom and I were on our way to church this morning – for an outdoor service – it started. Bummer. The visiting bluegrass band had to move inside so it was an indoor service but still very uplifting. I could feel Dad's presence there. He loved that music and that service!

Headed home to Rapids around 2 so I could get home for supper with the guys. And unpacking. And assuring hubby I didn't bring too much home with me!!

I swear, I didn't! I want to avoid R3-D3 in my OWN house!





No comments: