Thursday, July 31, 2014

Corn Huskers' Waltz


Please don't tell my husband I actually know there's a country song called "Mule Skinner's Blues." That may encourage him to listen to even MORE classic country!

When I passed through the blip on the map called Scandinavia (just south of little ol' Iola) I noticed the midway rides are set up for this weekend's annual Corn Roast. So for my "throwback Thursday" photo, I bring you the corn-husking Hedbergs.

From left: Raylene, Ron, Rachel, RoAnn and me.

Why are we husking three big tubs of corn? I realize there were 8 kids in the family, but that seems a little extreme for a meal. When I saw the picture, that Mule Skinner song came into my head. I guess I was thinking the song was "Corn Huskers' Blues" or waltz or something.

Somehow, I don't think we did any dancing until we were all done shuckin'. Even then, I don't think we had a chance. I now recall how much canning Mom did. The husking was only the first step. She cooked the corn and then took the electric knife to the cob, shedding off all the kernels to be sealed up in Ziploc bags for freezing. That's why she needed so much!

I imagine we were treated to some corn on the cob for a few meals, but mostly it was to prep for  those winter evenings when fresh vegetables were nowhere to be found in our half of the hemisphere.

I could say something corny about the picture, but just this once, I'll bite my tongue... and hum the Corn Husker's waltz.

Care to join me?

You may get some free kernels yet!




No comments: