Friday, August 1, 2014

Our Homesteads


Since Carter worked tonight, we got a date night, which in this case was dinner AND a history lesson. If I can say "history" without offending hubby.

We ended up eating at Jennings and Company (above), a downtown Wisconsin Rapids bar and grill on 1st street by the Wisconsin River. In the past few years, they've renovated it while at the same time restoring much of its historic character.

I think I've only been there twice before and tonight was my first time eating there. Very good food!

While we were waiting for our food, I noticed an old picture on the wall next to us.


If you look closely, you can see it is the same building we were seated in, but pictured some 70 or 80 years earlier. Where you see the word TAILOR, Jim pointed out that his parents rented an apartment above there. In fact, that was his first home!

I had no idea. I had seen his childhood house before, but this was the first time I heard that they hadn't moved there until he was 6 months old. How interesting. What a neat connection to our evening.

Fastforward 50 years, and we are sitting "in" his old homestead (sort of) while celebrating that as of today, with a final payment, we now own our Blue Jay Drive homestead!

It's like our parade of homes has come full circle.

Now if only I could make my food as good as theirs...


No comments: